The Top Benefits of Lavender for Skin and Hair Health (With Recipes)
I love lavender. I make many of my products using lavender. I name one part of my business Lavender Goddess because of my love for lavender. Lavender from different parts of the world smells different but it always smells fragrant.
Types of Lavender
Some of the common types of lavender are
American - you will find this to be a common scent
Lavender was a precious plant to the Romans and Egyptians because they used it extensively as a medicine for headaches, sore throats, indigestion, and cleaning wounds after a battle. It gained royalty status as the British Royal Family used lavender and its byproducts since the 1600s. Today, lavender is one of the most recognized herbs for skin and hair care. It mildly nourishes skin, hair and improves their overall health.
Lavender for Hair Care
One of the potent and best uses of lavender is growing new hair and preventing hair loss. The effectiveness of lavender oil in treating alopecia areata is now widely known. Studies in a clinical setting have shown that topical application of lavender oil on the scalp and hair strengthens hair follicles and increases hair growth.
Lavender oil, combined with rosemary oil, thyme oil, and cedarwood oil, gives better results. The other essential oils contain ingredients to strengthen, repair, and condition hair. With enhanced growth, you get shiny and soft hair.
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of lavender help to clear dandruff and scalp issues. It rejuvenates the scalp to grow new cells and nourishes the hair follicles to grow healthy hair. Also, the calming scent of the lavender will leave a pleasant feeling for the day.
While the scalp can dry and be sensitive to repeated use of shampoos, applying lavender oil restores moisture and nourishment with its natural ingredients. The antioxidants contained in lavender take care of the damage caused by free radicals leading to skin aging.
Lavender for Skincare
· Soothe skin - Lavender is an excellent skin conditioner. It doesn’t contain harmful sulfates and parabens that cause damage to the skin in the long run.
· Cure acne - Lavender heals acne by unclogging pores and killing bacteria. A simple remedy you can use to treat acne is applying and washing a mix of lavender oil and carrier oil on the face every day.
· Facial toner - Also, drops of lavender oil can be used as a facial toner. With a cotton swab, gently rub 1 to 2 drops of essential oil on your face. Doing this reduces inflammation and restricts the formation of new pimples.
· Antifungal - Lavender has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties.
· Relieves itchy and dry skin - In the early stages of skin problems such as eczema and dry skin, lavender essential oil soothes these conditions with repeated use for months. When skin problems have progressed, applying lavender oil reduces symptoms of itchy and dry skin. Consulting a dermatologist is advised to those who have developed skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema, and others. Lavender by itself is not a treatment for aggravated skin conditions.
· Reduces scars and dark spots - If you have scars and dark spots on your skin, lavender oil reduces the tone. Also, it lessens hyperpigmentation, redness, and blotchiness.
· Wrinkle prevention - Lavender prevents the formation of wrinkles and fine lines caused by free radicals. You are applying a mixture of lavender oil and coconut oil once a day on wrinkles that ease them.
· Skin protection - The anti-inflammatory properties of lavender protect the skin from skin burns. A combination of moringa oil, lavender oil, and jojoba oil acts as a great conditioner for treating skin burns. Applying it three times a day heals sunburn.
Recipe for Lavender Face Mask
This face mask recipe works great for skin conditions and soothes your face. It has powerful antioxidants that nourish and enhance the beauty of your skin.
· ¼ tsp of dried lavender blossoms
· 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice
· 2 tbsps. of raw, unfiltered honey
1. Combine the ingredients gently in a bowl
2. Wash your face and pat dry
3. Apply the lavender face mask on the face and neck. Leave it for 10 minutes.
4. Wash and dry the face. If needed, you can apply moisture.
Recipe for Lavender Face Scrub
The lavender face scrub exfoliates the skin, removes dead cells, and increases blood circulation in the face.
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 1/2 cup pure coconut oil
· 25 drops or 1/4 teaspoon lavender essential oil
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl
2. Massage lavender face scrub on the face-covering forehead, eye region, chin, cheeks, and nose for 30 seconds in circular motions to exfoliate the skin
3. Rinse and pat dry
Recipe for Lavender Hair Mask
A lavender hair mask brings back the luster and revives your hair. It repairs the damage caused by harsh chemicals and pollution.
· 1 tbsp. Coconut oil.
· 3 drops lavender essential oil
· 1 tbsp. of dried lavender flowers
· 3 drops rosemary essential oil
1. Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir.
2. Apply Lavender hair mask to ends of the hair
3. For a minute, massage your scalp and leave it overnight
4. Shampoo and rinse in the morning
Recipe for Lavender Hair Spray
Lavender hair spray helps to style your hair and curate the best look for long hours.
· 2 tbsp. pure coconut oil
· 10 drops Lavender essential oil
· 1 cup of Rosewater or distilled water
· One spray bottle
1. Melt coconut oil and add it to a spray bottle
2. Add lavender oil
3. Fill the bottle with Rosewater or distilled water
4. Put the lid back on.